Khwaja Qutbuddin Bakhtiar Kaki
Qutbuddin Bakhtiar Kaki (Urdu: قطب الدین بختیار کاکی) was a renowned
Muslim Sufi mystic, saint and scholar in the Chishti Order from
Delhi, India. He was the disciple and khalifa (spiritual successor)
of Moinuddin Chishti as head of the Chishti Order. His most famous
disciple and spiritual successor was Baba Fareed.
Khwaja Qutbuddin Bakhtiyar Kaki was born in 569 A.H. (1173 C.E.) in
a town called Aush or Awash in Mawar-un-Nahar (Transoxania). Khwaja
Qutbuddin's original name was Bakhtiyar and later on he was given
the title Qutbuddin. The name Kaki was attributed to him by virtue
of a keramat(miracle) that emanated from him at a later stage of his
life in Delhi. He also belonged to the direct lineage of the Prophet
Muhammad, descending from Hussain ibn Ali. Khawaja Bakhtiyar Khaki
was one and half years old when his father died. His mother arranged
for his education.
When Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti went to Isfahan, before his demise,
he took oath of allegiance at his hands and received the khilafat
and Khirqah(mantle of khilafat?) from him. Thus, he was the first
spiritual successor of Moinuddin Chishti. Thereafter, his spiritual
master asked him to go to India and stay there.
"He had no parallel in abandoning the world and suffering poverty
and hunger. He kept himself engrossed in the dhikr. Whenever someone
came to him he would come back to his senses after a while and was
then able to talk with him. After a very brief exchange he would
show his inability to continue any longer and slipped into the same
state of absorption once again."
He died on the 14th of Rabi-ul-Awwal 633 A.H. (1235 CE). The tomb of
Qutbuddin Bakhityar Kaki lies near Qutub Minar at old Delhi, India.
Important Dargahs of Chishty Sufis in Indian sub-continent :
1. Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Hasan Chishty, Ajmer Sharif.
2. Hazrat Khwaja Qutubuddin Bakhtiyar Kaki, Delhi (Mehroli).
3. Hazrat Baba Fariduddin Masood Ganj-e-Shakar, Pak Pattan Sharif,
4. Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya , Delhi.
5. Hazrat Alauddin Sabir Kalyari, Kalyar Distt. Rurki (Uttaranchal).
6. Hazrat Nasiruddin Chiragh, Delhi
7. Hazrat Gaisu Daraz Banda Nawaz, Gulbarga Sharif (karnataka)
6. Hazrat Amir Khusru, Delhi
9. Hazrat Sufi Hamiduddin Suwali, Nagaur (Rajasthan).
10. Hazrat Khwaja Fakhruddin Chishty, Sarwar Sharif, Ajmer.
11. Hazrat Hisamuddin Jigar Sokhta, Sanbhar Lake (Rajasthan).
12. Hazrat Jamaluddin Hanswi, Hansi (Hariyana).
13. Hazrat Jahangir Ashraf Samnani, Kachocha Sharif (U.P.).
14. Hazrat Waris Ali Shah Dewa Sharif (UP)
15. Hazrat Shah Sarang Machgaon, Bara Banki.
16. Hazrat Shah Meena, Lucknow (U.P.).
17. Hazrat Bu Ali Shah Kalander, Panipat (Hariyana).
18. Hazrat Shamsuddin Turk, Panipat (Hariyana).
19. Hazrat Jalaluddin Kabirul Auliya.
20. Hazrat Syed Abdur Razzaque Bansa Sharif, Bara Banki.
21. Hazrat Makhdoom Abdul Haque, Rudoli Sharif, Bara Banki.
22. Hazrat Abdul Quddus Gangohi, Gangoh (Saharanpur)
Chishti Sufi Stages of Love